Halloween goodies can be fun for kids, but they can also be seriously dangerous to your family pet. There are plenty of ways to include your furry friend in the spooky activities, but sharing Halloween candy is not one of them! Read below to learn more about Halloween safety regarding your cat or dog.
Avoid Poisonous Treats
Halloween candy can cause different symptoms depending on which type of candy your pet ingests, so we recommend keeping all candy away from your pet. Symptoms can vary from vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, liver failure, seizures, and even death. Check out our list of candies to keep out of your pet’s reach:
● Raisins - While raisins may be a healthier alternative Halloween snack for children, grapes and raisins can actually cause kidney failure in pets. Raisins can be poisonous to both cats and dogs at any amount.
● Candy with wrappers - Pets can’t remove wrappers off of candy, so they may end up eating plastic or foil material that cannot be digested. This can cause a fatal bowel obstruction which may require surgical intervention.
● Bite-sized hard candy - While this type of candy is not exactly toxic, it is a serious choking hazard for pets. Small hard candy can easily become stuck in the wind-pipe of your pet, preventing them from breathing. It can also be damaging to their teeth if chewed, which could lead to an emergency vet visit.
● Chocolate - By far, chocolate is one of the most dangerous candies a pet can eat. Dogs are attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate, which can be fatal if ingested in large quantities. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to your pet’s health.
● Sugar-free gum - Sugar alternatives like Xylitol can be toxic to pets. This chemical can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar and can cause seizures in a matter of minutes. If pets survive the initial seizures, they typically have lifelong damage to their liver. It is very important to keep sugar-free items away from your pet.
● Candy corn or anything extremely sugary - Candy with high levels of sugar can lead to pancreatitis in pets which can be potentially fatal depending on the quantity of candy ingested. This inflammation of the pancreas can be incredibly painful and lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Symptoms can take up to two days to show up and by then it may be too late, so be sure to keep sugary candy away from pets and in a container that they cannot access.
Instead of giving your dog human food, try picking up some special Halloween treats just for them! You can pick up some pet-friendly Halloween treats at your local pet store or clinic! There are also plenty of recipes online to make some personalized treats for your furry friend. Let your pet join in on the fun this Halloween, but do it safely! Choose treats that are right for them and keep any hazardous candy far away from curious pets.