Your Woodbridge Veterinarian Shares Harmful Flowers for Your Pets to Avoid

April Showers bring May flowers! But if you’re not careful, springtime flowers can be harmful and in some cases fatal to your pets. Here at Pets R Family Animal Hospital, we want to make sure your pet is safe and happy as the seasons get warmer. Here is a list from your Woodbridge veterinarian of potentially harmful flowers to keep your pet away from this spring:

 

• Lilies can be very dangerous to cats! While a springtime favorite, these beautiful flowers can be highly toxic and cause kidney failure in felines. There are hazardous and benign lilies, the difference being that true lilies are the toxic flowers. True lilies include Tiger, Easter, Japanese Show, Day, and Asiatic lilies. Benign lilies include Peace, Calla, and Peruvian lilies, which will cause irritation in a cat’s mouth and cause minor drooling. Lilies are one of the most hazardous plants an animal could ingest so if you suspect your pet may have gotten into one, be sure to take them to our hospital immediately.

 

• Daffodils are a favorite in Spring gardens, but if ingested, could be dangerous to both cats and dogs. The bulb of a daffodil contains lycorine, an alkaloid that triggers vomiting. In some cases, ingestions could also lead to an irregular heartbeat and convulsions.

 

• Tulips are similar to Daffodils in that the bulbs contains an alkaloid that causes vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, increased heart rate or changes in respiration can occur, especially in Labradors. If your pet has eaten a tulip petal, leaf, or bulb, be sure to visit your Woodbridge veterinarian.

 

• Hyacinths are gorgeous in a garden, but they can be bad for your furry friend to consume. This type of plant contains an alkaloid that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and tremors for both dogs and cats. More severe signs are known to show up in cattle and larger animals.

 

• While stunning in its own right, an Iris can be moderately harmful to pets. If a bulb is ingested or touched by your pet, they may experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and lethargy.

 

If you think your pet might have ingested something or if they are showing unusual symptoms, a trip to the clinic may be necessary. Bringing a leaf or petal of the plant that was ingested will give your Woodbridge veterinarian a better idea of what is going on with your pet. If you’re unsure if a plant is harmful or poisonous to your pet, a good rule of thumb is to keep them away from your garden.